December 12, 2011

christmas tie



I realize I made a terrible mistake thinking a DIY advent calendar would work, because almost all of the things I'm making at the moment are Christmas presents.  Which means I can't post them in public yet.  (there are a couple I might right before Christmas because they can be made in a few hours and make good gifts)  Last night Seb came home early though, just as I was finishing up making a Christmas tie for him, so he already knows about it.

This tie was totally simple to make (even though the pattern pieces were a bit of a headache to get right.  Just take a lot of liberties and don't try to take the pattern too literally), and I think looks great!  I have so many ideas for ties in old scrap fabrics, and awesome tie/backing combos. 

FYI, this tie does match my dress.  And when Seb and I perform Jingle Bell Rock (WHY do I know all the words?!), we will be matching.  Even his guitar sort of matches.  (don't worry, we won't be performing this for anyone other than our roommates)

3 comments:

  1. This is great! I really wanted to make myself a plaid dress and a matching tie for Mark for Christmas, but considering I still don't have a sewing machine or an iron or other sewing related equipment, that's probably not going to happen. But I'm having the same problem with not being able to post pictures of Christmas presents! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lissa!
    I have been following your blog since Jenny Gordy linked here, and I am so impressed by how many awesome things you make. I made that tie last year for valentines day and thought the pattern was weird, too. But the end result was great! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elaina - that would be the cutest! I actually hand sewed the entire tie because there is very little where a machine would actually work and I didn't feel like lugging my sewing machine out for 45 seconds of sewing. the iron might be a little more necessary, but those are fairly cheap, and I use mine almost daily (I REALLY love having ironed clothing)

    Sarah, that's so nice to hear! I'm glad someone else had trouble with the pattern, because I spent quite a while trying to figure out what I could possibly be doing wrong. (I only make as much as I do because I have so much free time and need to tell my boyfriend I did something with my day when he comes back from 12 hours at school!)

    ReplyDelete