October 06, 2012

friday nights at home

I'm an introvert.  I love almost nothing more than staying home with friends (or even by myself), breaking out tea, knitting, wine, movies, games, and hanging out in my slippers.  But I often feel anxiety over this - I'm young! I should be going out!

As colder and darker evenings roll around, I'm trying to let myself savour staying in, guilt free - to make it more of an occasion.  Last night Seb and I stayed in, and while Seb studied, I knit and padded around the house, making popcorn on the stove, eating the last crumbs of the dark chocolate chili cookies, and making my favourite tea.  It was such a nice night, and one I hope to repeat many evenings this winter.

7 comments:

  1. I often feel this way! I'm a big homebody, but I almost feel like people are judging me for being this way when I'm in my early twenties, haha. Isn't is so odd that we possess those feelings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ug, the judgement! This TED talk about the power of introverts totally had me cheering:
      http://on.ted.com/Cain

      Delete
    2. Lissa! Thanks for showing me this. I just watched it, and I'm totally gonna be in a good mood :)

      Delete
  2. i know exactly how you feel! though i've bypassed the guilty stage, and now my default is having alone time, or only spending the night with my boyfriend...which is pretty lame, i realize! it makes me think that i need to get out more to make more friends! (and then invite them over for tea, haha.)

    speaking of friends, and tea, and popcorn - have you tried adding salt + rosemary to your popcorn? it is AMAZING. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living with my boyfriend makes me feel so much better about staying home - look! someone is hanging out with me already!

      The making more friends is something I always struggle with in new cities. All the people like me that I want to meet are also at home drinking tea - how will we meet?! I think I should join nerdy clubs, maybe that would work...

      trying rosemary popcorn asap

      Delete
  3. Oh, I feel the same too! I'm definitely getting to the stage where I embrace cozy nights at home and don't feel as guilty. Well, I do sometimes when all my friends are going out. All through university with one of my best friends we had Fat Fridays where we would cook a good meal, watch a movie and do some knitting/crafting and have tea and popcorn. Best ever. You can always go out Saturday! Ahem, not that I do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh how lovely lissa. love these cosy nights at home. i usually make tea and indulge into natural beauty potion making. and the photo speaks for itself! angelica

    ReplyDelete