January 20, 2012

useful things




This week I haven't made very much interesting, but I've been working on some bigger projects (I'll share soon), and making a few practical things.

First: I've started making wash clothes for my roomies.  They are all paranoid about loofahs being unsanitary (I don't totally get it - are our toothbrushes much different?), but I'm making them cotton wash clothes instead.  I used a smaller needle size than recommended so that they are dense and squishy.

I got a vegan baking book!  I can't make anything from it yet, but valentine's day is my first day off restricted eating and I'm making that cake!  (the recipes mostly use agave nectar, which I'll be able to eat then, but not right now)

I saw Rae Spoon last night (I enjoyed it more than I've enjoyed a show in a really long time.  It was SO GOOD, and y'all should give it a try), and got this little book from the cigarette machine there!  I met the artist in the fall, but hadn't made it to the venue until now.   It's by far the best thing that's fallen out of a vending machine for me.

I made myself some cashmere arm warmers from an old sweater that had a hole.  The wind is so cold right now, I needed something to protect my wrists between my coat and mittens.  They're also awesome if I need to get my phone out without leaving my whole hand exposed.

Hope everyone's week was great!  Thanks for the cooking suggestions, I'm on my way trying things out...

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to make some cotton washcloths/dishcloths for ages! I have to remember to buy some cotton yarn. I love the arm warmers too, my hands keep getting cold at home. And yay, you got Babycakes! Can't wait to see your baking from it. I want to eat that cake right now. Good luck with the eating/cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited to bake from it! I really love the dish clothes - I use them in our kitchen to, but a slightly looser version

      Delete
  2. <3 the photo of the knitting in the bowl, so charming. Best of luck with the baking yum yum yum :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see all the little bowls and baskets around my house...I seem to think that it looks less like I'm leaving half finished projects everywhere if they are in some sort of container.

      Delete