April 24, 2012

brownies + other food

Folks, I'm sort of embarrassed about my lack of ability to hold a camera steady, but I'm too excited about these brownies to wait until tomorrow and natural light roll around.  (*changed the picture, couldn't deal and it was a good excuse for another piece) THESE BROWNIES ARE LIFE CHANGING.  Like, the best baked good I've eaten in quite some time, and I bake a lot.  They somehow manage the perfect brownie texture - moist, dense, a little chewy - and are so chocolaty and peanuty it's crazy.  AND healthy enough to be considered for breakfast.  And they have barely any ingredients.

I've been eating no dairy/low sugar/mostly vegetarian for a few months now, and we've decided to see what else we can cut out, if that makes us feel even better.  As of this week, we're trying gluten free/low sugar/vegan (except eggs.  We get local organic free range eggs that I feel good about and taste amazing).  I realised how few of those things we eat, and how much amazingly good food is left to eat if you just look a little harder and are willing to cook a little more often.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm ok with blurring the boundaries when needed, but curious to see what good changes come from it.  This dessert is totally on, and soooo tasty: strawberries, warm brownie, and chocolate peanut butter coconut ice cream.

OK, on to the brownies.  The recipe comes from the Spunky Coconut, who is my baking idol.  I don't even know how she does it.

1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp stevia (you might not have this in your kitchen, but a totally worth while addition - a powerful natural sweetener without the blood sugar spike)
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cocoa powder

Mix it all together, bake at 325 for 25 minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment