June 14, 2012

iron dyeing

So, I'm starting some real dyeing at the moment, but I thought I'd share my sort of ridiculous first attempt.  Basically, I filled a pot with water, vinegar, and nails, boiled them, left it for a day, then dunked some fabric in there for half an hour, and rinsed.  As far as I can tell, because iron is a mordant the dye should be fast, but I guess we'll have to see! 

The different colours you're seeing: the bottom is original colour (it's an old sheet), the middle one was in the iron bath for only 15 minutes, and the top one was in for 30 minutes.  I like how suttle of a peach colour it turned out, but I'm looking for some more dramatic colours this week, with tea, beets, black beans, onion skins, avocado skins, and red cabbage. 

2 comments:

  1. ooo, avocado skins...those sound amazing! also, i love the idea of dyeing with beets. i can't wait to see what colours you get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lissa you're doing it - this is so awesome! can't wait to see more pics of your process.

    ReplyDelete