July 29, 2012

baby doll

 I've been sewing, lots of strange stuff on the serger that isn't really working out but I'm slowly learning to sew knits.  This weekend I decided I needed a moral booster and did something I was pretty sure was going to work out.

I am lucky enough to work in a studio where everyone is moving and getting rid of fabric!  I have a giant IKEA bag of fabric in my hallway, just waiting for me, and that's where this dress came from.  Complete with pockets, lots of leg room, and an I-ran-out-of-fabric contrasting back, I think this one will get tons of use.

On a completely different note: does anyone know what this berry is? It's from a big tree in my nanny family's yard, but none of us know if we can eat them!

6 comments:

  1. those look like red currants to me!! though i'd double check google just to be safe. :) (also, yum! they look delicious!)

    that dress is SO awesome! i really like the material too...and i can't wait to see what else you experiment with! i think babydoll dresses are so darn perfect for all seasons - you can layer in the fall, winter, and spring, and in summer, they work all on their own. plus...pockets!! <333

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, this website is awesome (i just found it) and i'm totally using it to death for the rest of the summer. free fooooood!! :)

    http://northernbushcraft.com/guide.php?ctgy=edible_berries&region=on

    (that's the berries section...they've also got one on mushrooms. !!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is so great! I feel so out of my element not knowing plants here - it's such a different set.

      Delete
  3. If the berries are from a tree they probably aren't red currants, I think those are just bushes not trees. I would take some berries and leaves (or pictures) to a nursery and ask them if they can identify it. It may be a tree that isn't indigenous so it might be hard to identify on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a good idea! We've ruled out red currants, but are still looking.

      Delete